When selecting my topic for my Free Inquiry Project, I thought to myself: What can I explore that will be both challenging and constructive? What can I do to benefit my knowledge with regards to technology and education, but also allow for personal growth and enjoyment?

The topic of mindfulness initially came to my mind, and I decided to focus on it for a variety of reasons. Primarily, this year getting back into school has been difficult for me. I have always been a diligent student with a motivated work ethic, however this year I have struggled to find a healthy rhythm in my studies. I’m not sure if this stems from having a 3 year break since completing my undergraduate degree, or just a general mental block. In an effort to combat this slump I’ve found myself in, I’ve decided to make mindfulness the focus on my free inquiry. I think that by focusing on mindfulness, which to me encompasses acting with intention, thought, and purpose, I will find a way to engage with school more passionately again. I am certain though that I will see the benefits of this project beyond my academic pursuits.

My questions are simple: how does intentionally practicing mindfulness affect me? Which mindful practices are most favourable to me? And finally, how can I bring these mindful exercises to the classroom and incorporate them to my teaching style?

In my opinion “mindfulness” is a broad term that can encompass a variety of practices and activities. However, at its core, the intention of mindfulness is to connect with your inner thoughts and disconnect from the outside world in a meditative way. This can be achieved through a variety of strategies such as meditation, exercise, writing, etc.

My plan to begin my journey to a more mindful lifestyle is as follows: each week I am going to integrate a new “mindful practice” or challenge into my daily routine. My first thoughts are things like challenging myself to go to yoga every day for a week, or spending a week with my social media apps deleted from my phone, or conversely using an app to follow a guided mediation practice. If I find that something I’ve tried is useful, hopefully it is something I can continue practicing as I carry on with trying new mindful exercises.

Although it is a couple years old now, I found this TEDtalk about mindfulness to be really engaging and informative to me about what mindfulness looks like in practice. He discusses how mindfulness is as simple as “familiarizing yourself with the present moment” and really emphasizes how it doesn’t need to be this intense, incense fueled meditative experience. It’s a great introduction to the topic and helped me construct my own framework for mindful practice.